Started in 2004, KBI was pleased to introduce a new “mini tournament” within the main tournament that featured any teams with a parent/child combination with the child being no older than 16 years of age. Bill Kostick introduced this idea to encourage youth involvement in the main tournament as a stepping stone for youth who were too old to fish in the Kid’s KBI. Getting more kids into the main tournament and encouraging their participation is one way to keep the tournament going.
The winners of the first year of this exciting event were Perry and Carson Dubchak
With the intention of encouraging greater youth participation the board made the decision to change challenge to an Adult/Youth Challenge for the 2008 tournament to encourage more people to step forward and invite youth to participate, whether it be a child, nephew/niece, friend or neighbor. In 2014 the category was once again changed to the Youth Challenge therefore teams with two youth would qualify. As this prize category continues, it is hoped that more teams will be a part of this challenge and that it continues to grow each year.
- 2004 - Perry & Carson Dubchak – 38.02 lbs
- 2005 - Neville & Emmet Smith – 30.98 lbs
- 2006 - Perry & Carson Dubchak – 39.15 lbs
- 2007 - Randy & Branden Baird – 37.78 lbs
- 2008 - Jeff & Blair Dingwall - 39.20 lbs - Randy & Branden Baird – 39.20 lbs
- 2009 – Jeff & Blair Dingwall - 41.57lbs
- 2010 – Paul & Coel Forsyth - 35.41lbs
- 2011 - Howard Adams & Ben Scott - 39.88 lbs
- 2012 - Curtis Scott & Brenon Scott - 45.12 lbs
- 2013 - Paul & Coel Forsyth - 43.00 lbs
- 2014 - Owen Doerksen & Brandon Scott at 43.48 lbs
- 2015 - Trevor Guderyan and Shayne Mozdzen at 44.21 lbs